Sunday, April 12, 2009

17 years ago today...

was my mission farewell. Wow, that really makes me feel old. This day is also my parents anniversary. Man time sure flies! I remember how excited I was to be going on a mission. Back then we still had "real" missionary farewells where the departing missionary and family did the whole sacrament meeting program. The chapel was packed with all of my friends and family and the Spirit was so strong. I remember that in my mom's talk she talked about how I had always had great faith. She shared that when I was going into the 5th grade there was a teacher that I really, really wanted. I prayed and prayed that I would get that teacher (Mrs. Twiggs) all summer long. My mom tried to prepare me in case I didn't get her, she told me that even if I didn't I would still have a good teacher- but I would have none of that... I told her that I had faith I would have that teacher. She was so worried about what would happen to my faith if I didn't get Mrs. Twiggs! Well, the day came that we got to go see who our teachers were and of course, mine was Mrs. Twiggs! My mother was so relieved and I wasn't even surprised- I had faith that I would get her and I did. :) After my farewell my parents hosted a farewell dinner for me at the Lion's Lodge (my Grandpa Facer was a Lion) and all of my friends and family were there. It was so much fun! Such great memories I have of that time. I am so grateful that I served a mission. Even though I lost my mom when I was serving I still knew it was exactly where I should be and I knew she was so proud of me. It was truly the best thing I ever did for my life.

No comments: