Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Weekend Getaway

This last weekend I took Shawn away for an early celebration of his upcoming 40th birthday. We left on Friday and I had reservations at this awesome little B&B in Manitou, Springs. We took our time getting there stopping for a late lunch at Famous Dave's- one of our fave spots. We arrived in Manitou Springs got the little tour of the place and checked into our room. It was really nice. It threw us off for a minute when they said the only TV in the place was in the parlor- no TV's in the rooms. We thought "What are we going to do with no TV for 3 days?" HA- we didn't even miss it! We took a walk through the quaint little town to discover that everything but the bars and eatin' joints closed between 5-6 pm. Seriously, it was so dead! We did catch a little candy shop open and bought some fresh made German Cinnamon Almonds that were so addictive! It was fun to look in the shop windows though and we discovered the "springs" that run out from the walls that you can fill up your water bottles with. It was soda water though so I found it to be nasty. :) Saturday morning we got up and had an amazingly yummy breakfast (the innkeeper was absolutely wonderful!) and then we headed to Canon City to check out the Royal Gorge. What a neat place! We drove across the 1500+ ft high suspension bridge (the highest suspension bridge in the world) and it was freaky! We also walked across the bridge - which was even scarier to me because you could see through the big gaps in the planks! Argh! Then we rode the tram across the gorge also. The VERY BEST PART though was when Shawn rode the skyrocket- a giant bungee that throws you out over the gorge! I couldn't believe he really wanted to do it but he did! I'm a chicken so I took pictures and video. :)



He had so much fun the first time that he did it a second time! It was seriously the best part of the trip for me to see him so happy and vibrant afterwards. I honestly have not seen him that happy since our wedding day! He said he felt like he was 20 again- YAY! After we were finished at the Gorge we headed back to Colorado Springs where I took him to Red Lobster for dinner. If you know me, you will know that this was a show of GREAT LOVE on my part- I do not eat seafood- yuck! But it was his birthday and I knew he would love it! I had chicken linguine and he had a seafood platter full of all the stuff he never gets to eat. Then we walked around Manitou again- the weather was so nice and mild. Sunday we got up and after having another yummy breakfast we checked out of our room and headed to the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. If you have never been there you should really make it a priority. It was the coolest zoo I have ever been to. The animals are all just right there and it is all mountainous and beautiful. You can even feed and pet the giraffes- so cool! We are definitely going to be taking the kids there this summer. After the zoo we drove through the Garden of the Gods- so beautiful- then we slowly made our way back home. It was hard to come home! We had so much fun, it was just a perfect weekend and I can't wait to do it again! Happy Birthday to my love- now I look forward to the big 4-0 too! (Not!) LOL

6 comments:

alison said...

What a fun birthday! Tell him I say happy birthday.

Jolayne said...

Sounds like you both had a great weekend away. You did a lot of the things we would like to go and see with our girls. Congrats on the birthday Shawn!

BoyMaker said...

You are such a wonderful person Shelly! Maybe someday you can move back to UT and be my BFF again!?! You guys look so happy & wonderful all the time!
And yes, it was an April Fools Joke - SORRY! I'm glad I found you "again" though! Hah!

the funny facers said...

I am so bad at Birthdays. I hope Shawn had a good one. I have been through garden of the Gods and it is so beautiful. I think the whole trip sounds fun wxcept fo the bridge. That is my irational fear. ewwww!

Sara said...

What a fun time. You guys are so cute! I love it that you are so happy. You deserve it. tell Shawn that I said thanks for being the man you deserve! For that I love him!! I love you and miss you.

Buffy said...

What a fun trip. I agree about the turning 40 comments. If you do bring the kids back down to the zoo be sure to look me up. My house is 5 minutes from the zoo. We'll join you!