Monday, May 19, 2008

Tyler's Birthday Bash

So yesterday we celebrated Tyler's 9th birthday. His birthday is actually on Saturday the 24th but seeing as we will be on the road to DISNEYLAND we felt the need to celebrate early. :) This year we have done something different. Instead of having a cake for birthdays everyone has been able to choose the dessert of their choice (Ashlie and I had ice cream sundae's, Shawn had pie etc...), Tyler decided he wanted Banana's Foster Flambe (fancy eh *smile*). So I get a recipe off the Internet and of course it calls for Rum (that's what makes it flambe aka flaming). Ask me how nervous I was going into the liquor store to buy rum-- ARGHHH! I am reminded of why I was never tempted to drink alcohol when I was young (or ever for that matter), can you say GUILTY CONSCIENCE. HAHA! I made Shawn go with me to buy it (at least he knew what it was and how to go about obtaining it), but I have to tell you we were both sweating it out going in there. I felt like I should have worn a trench-coat and sunglasses to hide my identify. I was afraid someone from church or the neighborhood would see me. Of course the first liquor store we go into only has the GIGANTIC bottles, uh, don't think I need that much, so we had to go to a second store but thankfully they had a small bottle. I can't believe how expensive that stuff is! Wow, how can people afford to drink it on a regular basis?? Anyhoo, I can laugh about the whole experience now, actually we laughed about it all the way home but still...

So the Banana's Foster Flambe was a big hit and everyone loved it. We just told our kids it was a secret ingredient that makes it flame (is that wrong???). Tyler had a great celebration, I will have to add pictures later when we get them downloaded. Our dear friends the Steins came as well as Grandpa Wycoff and Grandma Darlene- they actually stayed for 3 hours which is a HUGE deal for them. We cooked hot dogs on the firepit (also Tyler's choice) and visited and everyone had a great time.

1 comment:

KrisJ said...

Goodness you alkies!! Thats a fun tradition to let them pick their favorite desert!