Friday, February 12, 2010

Happy Birthday to me

Today is the 10th anniversary of my 29th birthday. Ugh! When did I get so old?? How did this happen?? Sigh... Honestly I have hated my birthday for as long as I can remember. It all stems back to my 8th birthday. This is supposed to be a BIG special birthday right? Sadly the only thing I can really remember about it is that my grandma, who I was very close to, was sick in the hospital dying of cancer. I remember making her a valentine card for my mom to take to her. I remember wanting to see her and my mom telling me I couldn't and that I needed to remember her healthy and happy. She passed away on the 15th- 3 days after my birthday. I remember feeling my mother's grief and sorrow. I remember the funeral and how I tried so hard not to cry because I wanted to be strong for my mom. From then on I think I really associated my birthday with that event and those sad feelings. Then 13 years later my mom passed away from cancer- 5 days before my birthday. Again with the sadness, stress and grief. I think my mom knew how I already felt about my birthday and she really didn't want me to go through that again because she made my family promise to throw me a party with crepe paper and balloons for my birthday- and they did. My grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, dad, bro and sis were all there- trying so hard to make that awful day special for me. All because my mom wanted it to be, but yet it is still such a difficult time of year for me and really not so much because I'm getting older (which I am-ugh! lol) but because of the memories this time of year holds. This year I really feel like such a sad and pathetic person that I can't move on from this, I mean its been 31 years since grandma passed and 17 years since mom passed, can't I just get over it?? I don't know, but I resolved this year to try. It started out a little rough in the morning and I couldn't help but cry when my dad called to wish me a happy birthday, BUT I muddled through and my sweet husband took me to the Temple. I enjoyed every minute of sitting there feeling the peace wash over me and knowing that my eternal companion loved me and that families can be together forever! What a glorious place! He then took me to lunch where we ate way too much (so much for the "diet" today:D). It was topped off with R and T being so sweet to me and A and B calling me. It really can't get much better than that! I received MANY birthday wishes from many wonderful friends. It turned out to be not such a bad day after all. :)

3 comments:

BoyMaker said...

Happy birthday Cindershella!!!! You have such a good heart and your post tugged at my heart! You are sassy and fun - which keeps you young! I'm glad it was an uplifting day for you!

Melanie said...

Sorry I don't look at this more. I love ya tons! I'm glad the day turned out ok. Just like everything will turn out ok in the end too! It's just getting that far that's the challenge. You're the best! xoxo

Tracy Hendricks Owens said...

It doesn't seem like it's been 17 years since my sweet Aunt Ann has been gone.... Holy cow how the time just flies by. Happy belated birthday sweetheart! I love you tons!