Monday, October 20, 2008

We made it

Whew! We made it! Wow, what a trip that was to Iowa to pick up our new trailer. It took us 10 hours to get there on Saturday and then 13 hours to get home on Sunday, can you say GET ME OUTTA THIS CAR!!?? :) (I have to put a plug in for my kids- they never complained once! They are so awesome!) We had a nice day driving out, it was a very pretty drive except for the way Nebraska smells. The funny thing is, the only other time I have been through Nebraska was back in 1995 (help me out with that one Marnell- was it really that long ago??) and the thing I remembered was that it smelled like dirty diapers. Well, nothing has changed, it still smells like stinky diapers! I'm sorry to anyone who is from there but I could not live there! On the way home it alternated between smelling like caca and natural gas??? Okay, don't light a match in Nebraska...

We made it to our destination without incident (thanks HF!) and met the family who was selling us the trailer. They went over all the ins and outs with us and we were thrilled that it was what we were expecting. There was a slight blip though when the wife was putting the slide in and she broke the bathroom door-- ooops! She felt terrible (of course) but Shawn got a wheel lock out of the deal and the door was easily fixed. After a couple of hours of that we drove off towards the campground we had reserved for the night. It was a shaky start and we got lost on the way but eventually we found it by just driving all the way around the lake. I have to say that this campground was amazing! I wish we could have stayed longer. There were big, beautiful trees everywhere, it was very clean, had nice bathrooms and playground... Everything you could ever want in a campground and it was by a lake. When we got there Shawn's friend Scott (they were best friends in high school in Pella before Shawn moved to Colorado when he was 16) and his little boy Eddie, had driven up to Des Moine to see us. We went to dinner with them and it was fun hearing all of the stories from when Shawn and Scott were thugs in high school (Seriously! I know you all think Shawn is such a teddy bear, and he is sometimes, but the man has a sordid past-- LOL, okay sordid is strong, but he was definitely a teenager once... Of course I have always been perfect. *snicker*). So Saturday night after dinner etc we slept in our trailer- It was GREAT! As I was listening to the wind blow I just kept thinking "I am so glad I am not in a tent!"

Sunday morning we got up and got all hooked up and started on our way. We almost forgot to put the antenna down but thanks to a kind camping neighbor we got that problem fixed before we could do any damage. :) We made it to the interstate without any mishaps and headed west toward home- it was AWFUL!! We were only going 50 mph and we were being bounced and jolted ALL OVER THE PLACE. I thought for sure we were all going to have whiplash and be bruised from the beating we were taking. In my mind I kept thinking "There is NO WAY I am going to drag this thing all over the country on vacation- this SUCKS!" Shawn told me later that he was wondering how he was going to tell me that he didn't want the stupid thing after all and we were going to have to sell it. LOL! THANKFULLY, after about 1.5-2 hours things finally settled into place (I don't know if it was the tires because the thing had been parked for over a year or if the suburban and the trailer had to form a "relationship"- who knows) and the rest of the ride home was nice and smooth and we could pretty much go freeway speeds. SIGH OF RELIEF!

So anyway, that was our mini adventure to Iowa. We were all so glad to be home! And now we can't wait to go camping for real! :)

4 comments:

Amy said...

I'm glad you had a safe trip! Now you need to post pictures of the trailer! That is so cool... you have many great adventures to look forward to!

Jolayne said...

Yep, I want to see some pictures too. I am much more amenable to camping in a trailer.

Marni said...

Yes, it was 1995. WOW - SO LONG AGO! :) I honestly don't remember what it smelled like! memories...remember when we got pulled over in Nebraska? And then took pictures with the cop that pulled us over? hehe (I think that we tried to use my "get out of jail free" card too! Memories...)

Make sure you pack up your RV with your 72 hour kits and other things "just in case!"

Sounds like a lot of fun!

Chris Kline said...

Now you just have to live in it for a month like LeBaron's so you can call it home. :-) Glad you got it here safe. When's the tour?