Wednesday, December 15, 2010

WE ARE THE WYCOFF'S!

Today has been the most wonderfully perfect day!  Today at 1:30 we had our hearing for Shawn to adopt Roxy and Tyler. We left the house at noon to go pick up the kids from school and head up to Greeley. We got there about 20 minutes early because we didn't want to be late! :)  The clerks were really friendly and let us wait in the courtroom, and the kids were all curious about what goes on in there and who sits where and what does the jury do so we killed most of the time explaining all of those things to them. At 1:30 the judge came in and I have to say she was just wonderful! First she had the kids go wait in the hall while we did the termination of Andy's parental rights. She asked me about his relationship with the kids (ha-what relationship?) and such and then terminated his rights. Then all the kids got to come back in and Roxy and Tyler sat up front with us. She asked me what I saw in each of the kids relationship with Shawn. Of course I immediately wanted to cry just thinking about it but I managed to pretty much hold it together while I talked about each of the kids and things they do with Shawn. Then she asked Shawn about what kinds of things he did with the kids. Then she asked the kids what kinds of things they liked to do with him. It was so cute to hear all of the answers and, as usual, I thought of a million more things I could have said after we were done. lol Then she asked Roxy and Ty if the adoption was what they wanted and they both said Yes!  Then she asked them if they wanted to change their names (their first and middle names that is) and I could see the wheels turning in Roxy's head. We had also asked them that before we submitted the papers but they were both happy with their names and just wanted to change to Wycoff. The judge was funny because when Roxy hesitated she said, "you know, this is your chance to change your name to whatever you want it to be!" and we all laughed. Then she explained that now the birth certificates would be changed to have Shawn listed as their father- just as if they had been born to him!  We both were seriously tearing up then- and grinning- none of us could stop grinning! After all of the legal stuff was said and done she asked if we wanted to take some pictures, which of course we did (Thanks Kris B. for giving us the heads up to take our camera!)!  Then Baylie wanted to see what it was like behind the judges desk so she took the kids all up there and showed them what she does and showed them their case on the computer and then she gave R and T some certificates for a keepsake. It was all so wonderful!
After we were done in court we headed to Famous Dave's to have a celebratory late lunch/early dinner.  Everyone was so happy and we had a great time pigging out together. :) 

I am so thankful to have such a wonderful husband that loves my kids as his own and CHOSE to make them his own. He said he felt the same way he did when waiting for Ashlie and Baylie to be born- which is so darn sweet! I am so thankful for all four of my incredible, fantastic children. It is so awesome to all be Wycoff's now- I just cannot describe the feelings that I have! This is the best Christmas ever! Thank you, thank you, thank you Heavenly Father for sending me such a wonderful man to be my husband and the father to our kids, we are SO blessed!

9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That is so awesome!! I totally got teary eyed reading this! You are all very blessed!

Erica said...

Seriously AWESOME!!! What an amazingly special day. Merry Christmas a little early!

Amy said...

What a wonderful day! Congratulations to you all!!

KrisJ said...

That is so dang awesome! Congrats!!

alison said...

What an amazing day!! I didn't know that the birth certificates changed too. Jeff came in and told me: "We lost a family in the ward today" and I asked who. He replied--no more Hoggans! We're happy to have a more Wycoffs for sure. :)

Carli said...

Your post totally me tear up just reading it! I am so happy for your family! Congratulations!

BoyMaker said...

That is SO wonderful for you guys! I totally cried reading this post. You guys are such a wonderful family & I'm SO glad everything has come together for all of you!

Peaceful Mommy Kayleen said...

I am so happy for you guys! What a wonderful beginning to a wonderful story! (I would say "ending" but it's not the end, it's the beginning!) :)

Haley L said...

OK, I teared up reading the whole story. What an incredibly special day it was and how neat that each holiday season, you can celebrate all over again.