Thursday, September 25, 2008

Thanksgiving

Well, I am sad to report that we will not be going home to Utah for Thanksgiving this year. This will be the 1st year I have spent away from my family since the one I missed on my mission (1992). It makes me sad because this has been my favorite holiday in almost forever. When my mom's mom died (I was 8) and my grandpa got remarried (I was 9) we started the tradition that we got Thanksgiving with our grandparents and my grandma's family got Christmas with them, so it quickly became my favorite holiday because I LOVE being together with everyone. It has always been so much fun, with crafts and games and GREAT FOOD and loving family all around. Over the years it has grown from just our few original families to around 40 extended family and a few adopted friends- quite a group! :) This past March my grandpa passed away and I guess everyone has decided now to just separate into their own family groups for Turkey day. I am so sad, but I guess it's to be expected. Shawn and I tried to convince my family to come out but with the RIDICULOUS price of gas not everyone can afford it and my dad just doesn't want to leave anyone behind (never mind that I'm behind out here by myself all the time- okay I won't whine about it). It is so pathetic that the price of gas is so high that families can't even afford to drive to be together anymore! I can't image if Shawn and I were "dating" in this economy, we probably never would have gotten married (Haha- I'm sure we would have found a way- smile). So, we are going to stay here and do our own thing anyway. It will be a nice change to tell Trudy she can have the girls for Thanksgiving and we get them for Christmas! I guess it will be a good day to reminisce and be thankful for all of the wonderful Thanksgiving's we have had in the past and maybe start our own traditions. :)

3 comments:

alison said...

I'm sorry to hear that. I know its hard to end a tradition. Hopefully you & Shawn will be able to create a new one.

Sara said...

I know how it is to be all alone away from "home". My last thanksgiving with my mom or any of my family was in '01. To be honest I'm not looking forward to any of the holidays this year, near or far without her here it's just not going to be right! I love you and miss you.

Tracy Hendricks Owens said...

We don't know what we'll do either. Since Grandpa is gone, it will never be the same without him. I remember the last Thanksgiving I went to at their house and Grandpa getting choked up because he was so pleased at how many people showed up and how much he truly loved his family. It makes me get teary just thinking about him. We, too, will find our own traditions... Love you Shelly!